Thursday, November 01, 2012

Names, Names, Names! (and music)

Well, another week has come and gone and I hardly noticed the days passing. Is it actually November already? Life, please slow down! 

It was another busy one and between teaching, working hard on the “to-do” list, preparing for halloween, date night with Dan, and sleeping ALOT (this third trimester thing feels veryyyy familiar!), here we are nearing the end of another week and I’m still not quite sure where the time has gone. Week 30 is here people. 10 more to go until we're parents! It's just CRAAAAZY!

So, moving on... I’m putting together a bunch of songs to make two playlists for labour and delivery. We plan on bringing our i-pod dock in our hospital bag! The first playlist is made up of songs that relax me (to help me get through the contractions and the early stages of labour) and the second list PUMPS ME UP (for the actual delivery!) While making the lists, some of the song titles stood out to me as being particularly relevant to having a baby and becoming new parents (or are just funny when you relate them to the pain!) Here are a few...

From the “Relaxing” list...

Lost in the Moment (Big and Rich)
It Won’t be Like This for Long (Darius Rucker) - hopefully this is true for the pain!
You Found Me (The Fray)
Heartbeat (The Fray)
Look After You (The Fray)
Beautiful Life (James Morrison)
Precious Love (James Morrison)
This Boy (James Morrison)
You Make it Real (James Morrison)
Thank You (Johnny Reid) - This was also our “First Dance” at our wedding :)
Growing Up Beside You (Paolo Nutini)
Your All I Want (Lifehouse)
You Are the Best Thing (Ray Lamontagne)
For the First Time (The Script)

And from the “Pump Up” list...

Howlin’ for You (The Black Keys)
I Like How it Feels (Enrique Iglasias) - hahaha DOUBTFUL!
Good Feeling (Flo Rida) - (see above comment!)
Shake It Out (Florence + The Machine) - LOL, if only it were so easy...
When You Were Young (The Killers)
You Rock my World (Michael Jackson)
Little Lion Man (Mumford and Sons)
Give Me Everything (Pitbull ft. Ne-Yo) - as in, all the drugs you’ve got. Load me up!
We Found Love (Rihanna)
Without You (Usher)
Let Me Love You (Ne-yo)

So, that’s just a few of the songs on my list. Let me know if you have any other song suggestions! (Or if you think I’m crazy and won’t want to listen to anything but dead silence the entire agonizing time...)

I’ve been meaning to do a “name post” at some point but couldn’t think of what I wanted to talk about without giving away our name! Callie at “Through Clouded Glass” (a great blog I’ve been following since I started this one) wrote a really interesting post about how her and her hubby go about narrowing down the thousands of names out there, to a few final choices. Anyways, her post inspired me to write this one! 

We’ve had our little dudes name chosen since before we knew he was a little dude! It’s funny because we decided on his name very easily but we were having the HARDEST time agreeing on a girls name. I think that was a sign to stop worrying about it, since we wouldn’t end up needing one anyways!

Anyways, I thought it would be a cool idea to talk about some of the other names we threw around while we were deciding, to give you a glimpse into our naming “style”. 

Other boy names we considered, but aren’t using ... 
(Reasons they were vetoed are as follows... 1) Too popular - As a teacher, I have this thing about my kid being called Billy M or Bobby R at school because there are 4 other kids in his class with the same name. 2) Dan thought of a way for kids to tease him “Holden Peters”.... just, no. LOL, 3) The name reminded him of someone he isn’t fond 4) I just couldn’t get myself to the “I LOVE IT” stage.

Some girl names we like, and may use some day ...
Alright... let’s be honest here... Most of these girl names are my choices. Dan likes really boring, common girl names which really don’t do it for me! I think it has something to do with growing up a “Devon”. You may also notice all the girl names I like are quite “girly”. Although I like my name now, I didn’t enjoy having a so-called “boys name” as a child, and vowed to give my future daughter a name where there would be no confusion as to her gender!

For you fellow preggies out there, some of my favorite websites for baby naming are:


And finally, last week, I posted my main blog post mid-week and my OOTW on the weekend. I think I might continue to do it this way since its so hard to get photos taken of me throughout the week seeing as my “photographer” (Dan) is only home on weekends. Anyways, expect my outfit post on Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. The girl names you picked are the same style I like! Derek always does the same thing as far as thinking of ways to make fun of a certain name - we've had to throw a few out because of that. I guess it's good though, because I don't want to pick a name that is easily made fun of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, then you've got good taste :P Can't wait to hear what you pick for your baby girl! I'm so name obsessed!

    ReplyDelete