Saturday, January 05, 2013

It COULD be any day now... or not.

Here we are - a week before our due date. It could be any day now! ... Or another 2 weeks. It's BRUTAL not knowing when it will happen! Since New Years day I've been going to bed hoping that I'd wake up in the middle of the night with contractions or laying in a puddle of "water", and be off to the hospital to have a baby. Then I wake up in the morning feeling defeated, sore and still pregnant. Very pregnant. Man, do I envy the girls who have their first babies at 38 weeks! I guess I have to look on the bright side. He's obviously not here yet because he's not finished cooking, so it's best to let him do his thing until he's ready. It's just so much easier said, than done!

39 week belly shot (and check out my new iPhone 5 - I'm in love!)

Anyways, I thought I'd do another "Pregnancy Journal" update, since it COULD be the last. Here it is...

39 Weeks Pregnant

Size of baby: Your baby's the size of a watermelon! The average baby is about 20.5 inches long from head to toe and weighs approximately 7.5 pounds at birth, but anywhere between 5 pounds 11.5 ounces and 8 pounds 5.75 ounces, is a healthy range for newborns.

What's baby up to?: Your amniotic fluid, once clear, is now pale and milky from your baby's shedding vernix caseosa. The outer layers of skin are also sloughing off as new skin forms underneath. His brain is still growing at an astonishing rate, a pace that will continue for the first three years of life. His head has dropped into your pelvis by now, which makes your breathing easier but walking harder.

Total weight gain/loss: + 29 lbs (I actually lost 3 pounds since last week... apparently a slight weight loss is a sign that labour is imminent! A girl can hope!)

Pregnancy symptoms:
Fatigue (followed by bursts of energy and nesting/cleaning urges), constant backaches and pelvic pressure/pain, heartburn (only when I’m in bed - a couple Tums seems to do the trick), more frequent urination, and a couple other symptoms I would classify as “TMI”, and spare you from!

Maternity clothes?: Pretty much everything. And I haven’t worn pants in like 2 weeks because the waist band digs in too much ... leggings are my bottom of choice these days!

Stretch marks?: None. C’mon skin... you can do it! Just a bit longer!

Sleep: about 9 hrs during the night, with the occasional afternoon nap!

Best moment this past week: Probably hanging out with my brother and his girlfriend on NYE (Dan was working)... baby related... learning that I’m 1cm dilated. Hey - it’s something!

Miss Anything?: My pre-pregnancy clothes, walking without discomfort, being able to sleep through the night!

Movement: Still lots - It generally feels much lower now, but I still get the occasional kick to the ribs or a foot that presses against the side of my belly and hangs out there for a while, until I push it back in!

Food Cravings: Fruit (specifically blackberries and pineapple), cheese, milk.

Exercise: Lots of dog walking!

Anything making you queasy or sick:  Nope.

Gender predictions: It’s a boy!

Labor sigs: Yes actually - engaged head, 1cm dilated... and those “TMI” symptoms I wont share here, since I don't want to gross anyone out :)

Belly Button in or out: Mostly out.

Wedding rings on or off: On!

Happy or Moody: Happy (for the most part), but I’m ready to be done!

Looking forward to: Meeting our baby boy! I have another OB appointment on Monday, so I’m hoping I’ll show more progress and hopefully have him before my due date, which is January 12th! (Statistically speaking, only 50% of babies are born by their due date, and another 30% are born the following week, so it’s pretty much a given that he’ll be in my arms by the 19th, at the very latest)

Baby boy's "Going Home Outfit" - all packed and ready to go!

I'm not feeling the greatest today (achy all over, and kinda flu-ish), plus Dan is working so I have no one to take my Outfit of the Week photos. I think it's a pajama day, for this girl!

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments: