Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Confidence Booster!


After last weeks frantic ‘Pregnancy, Labour and Delivery Questions’ post, so many mommy friends stepped forward with wonderful advice, tips and recommendations! Thank you so much to all the ladies who provided me with answers and reassurance! I TRULY appreciated hearing from you and I know I have a great support system if I have (which I inevitably will!), more questions along the way. 

So I compiled all of the answers I received for each of my questions and here is what I learned (I feel SO much better now!):

Questions (with Answers!) about Pregnancy, Labour and Delivery!

1. I'll start with a "vain" question - So far I’ve been lucky enough not to have any stretch marks. What products do you recommend for preventing them and minimizing them if they do come?

Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula for Stretch Marks - I’m now using this for prevention! (Also helps relieve the constant itch!)
Vitamin E Oil/ Bio-Oil - I’ll definitely start using this at the first sign of stretch marks. 
2. Cold and flu season is upon us and being a teacher means I’m more susceptible to catching something. Can I safely take anything to prevent/treat symptoms? 

Saline rinse for sinus congestion - I’ve got a Neti-Pot and I’m so glad I can use it! It works wonders.

Gargle with salt water - My mom’s favorite sore throat remedy. It’s just so nasty!

Hot water with lemon and honey for a sore throat - This actually sounds pleasant! 

Regular or Extra Strength Tylenol - I knew about this one and find it really works well for the muscle aches and pains and sore back I always get at the onset of a cold.

Throat Lozenges (ex. Halls) - I try to stay away from them because I end up taking way too many! The green ones are like candy! 

3. Did you or are you planning on signing up for childbirth classes? Did you find them useful?

I got mixed reviews on this one. I think Dan and I will end up taking some sort of pre-natal class in the next few months (anything helps when you know nothing lol). Also, I’ve found I can read up on alot of things but until I’ve actually done them or seen them done, its still a bit of a foreign language. I’ll keep you updated on what we decide and if we found them beneficial. 

4. I find myself worrying about every little ache and twinge. How can I distinguish what’s normal from what’s not?

This is a tough one. The general consensus was that if the pain doesn’t go away after  peeing, drinking water and then lying down on my left side, or the pain worsens, I should contact my doctor. So far any ache, pain or twinge I’ve had goes away after I do those three things, so I can probably chalk it up to round ligament pain, a Braxton Hicks contraction, or the baby being in a weird position. 

5. When contractions start, when should I go to the hospital? I don’t want to go too early and be sent home, or too late and deliver in the car! LOL (but not really, that would suck!) 

When contractions are 5 minutes apart, lasting for 45-60 seconds, and continue for an hour, you should go to the hospital. This seems to be the standard formula but I’m just worried because my mom had REALLY fast moving labours with both my brother and I, so I want to be on the safe side! I’ll probably go in a little bit sooner and risk being turned away. 

6. I could probably pack a whole suitcase to bring to the hospital. What do I really need?

WOW this is quite a list! I’m glad I asked this question because I definitely would have packed the wrong things and probably forgotten many of the essentials! 

Feminine pads - I honestly don’t think I would have thought of this! 
Toiletries
flip flops for the shower
PJ’s and slippers
Comfy clothes, socks, nursing bras, extra underwear
nursing pads
A good book or magazines 
paper & pen, folders for paperwork - also would have forgotten this! 
Camera, phone, chargers
A hot pack
My own pillow 
Breastfeeding pillow
cash/change for vending machine, parking, etc.

Diapers and wipes
baby blankets
a couple sleepers, undershirts and a “going home” outfit 
socks, hat and mitts for baby
Penetin cream/ Vaseline
carseat
7. Due to a “low lying placenta” I may need to have Cesarean. Any tips on recovering as quickly and as painlessly as possible, from a C-section?

Let your husband do most of the works as your recovering - I love this answer! LOL
The first 4 days suck because you think it will be forever before you can move properly and pick your baby up, but it's amazing how quickly it gets easier. As long as you have plenty of help at home, you’ll be fine. You can also safely take Tylenol for the pain, which does help.

8. If I’m able to give birth vaginally, when is the best time to ask for an epidural if I decide I want one?

Usually you can get one after you’re about 3cm dilated so, if you know that you want one, ask for it as soon as you get to that! After you’re past a certain # of centimeters (it varies, depending on doctor and hospital - usually about 7cm), you wont be able to get one anymore. 

9. I think I want only my husband to be in the room when I deliver. How soon after our baby’s born, can the rest of my family come in?

After they’ve delivered the placenta (yuck!), stitched you up if you tore or had an episiotomy (double yuck!!), then your family can come in. Usually about 15-30 minutes after delivery. SOME hospitals make family wait until visiting hours. I hope this isn’t the case for us!

10. How soon after the birth, will I be instructed on breastfeeding?

Usually within the first hour or so, they’ll help you with breastfeeding and latching on (although its only colostrum at this point as your milk wont actually come in for a few days). Often hospitals will have a consultant or clinic in the delivery ward as well who will be very helpful. Its difficult, frustrating and sometimes painful at first, but don’t give up because its definitely worth it! 

11. How long do I have to stay in the hospital after giving birth? And after a C-section? 

It varies by hospital but typically somewhere between 24-48 hours after a vaginal birth and  48-72 hours after cesarean. 

12. And the most important question of all  - Soooo, what the $&!*# do I do now?!?!

LOL Relax Devon! You’ll be fine - so much comes naturally and after the baby is born you’ll feel confident and prepared for motherhood! 




 (In case you got bored of reading, here's some silly labour humour LOL)



I also got some awesome random tips! Here are some of my favorites! 

Pre-make and freeze meals or have your family bring you dinner for a few days
Wait until after baby is born to buy your nursing bras because your size will change when your milk comes in. Maybe buy 1 in advance, a size up from what you are at the end of your pregnancy.

Don’t buy too many newborn diapers or newborn clothes in advance. You might have a big baby who will never fit in them!

Buy sleepers with zippers, not snaps! 

Try to nap when baby naps. Household chores can wait.

Keep track of pees as a way to ensure baby is getting enough to eat.

Try Halo brand ‘sleep-sacks’ for in the crib/bassinet instead of blankets and comforters.

Ask for and accept help from friends and family. Don’t be a hero!

Don’t try running after giving birth or you’ll fall on your face- HAHA!


Thanks again to everyone who responded to my cry for help! I also have a Pre-Birth Clinic at the hospital this Thursday where I’m sure I’ll be given a butt-load of information and paperwork to do. Anyways, I’m definitely starting to feel more confident... let’s see if it lasts! 

To end, here is my Outfit of the Week post for week 26! Don't you just love the gorgeous fall colours outside?! 

(By the way, I could just LIVE in this dress. Its uber-comforable, stretchy and has just the right amount of ruching along the bodice and on the sleeves. I bought it because its also totally wearable after baby is born! And I love the cute button details on the back). 

Dress: Seraphine Maternity 
Tights: Seraphine Maternity
Purse: Jessica Simpson
Boots: Aldo
Scarf: gift from the ByWard market (in Ottawa) 


No comments:

Post a Comment