Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Overwhelmed (and that's an understatement!)



3.5 months left. That's it.





AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!





I feel like there is so much to do, buy, learn, prepare and understand before this little person arrives and 3.5 months is NOTHING! I have a gazillion questions, thousands of dollars worth of "stuff" I need buy, and this overwhelming feeling that I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO BE A PARENT!? Is this normal or am I overreacting?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a crazy person. Now that that's out of my system, let me start off with some questions I came up with the other day. Maybe if I knew the answers to some of them I would feel a little less useless? Let's pretend that'll be the case. Ok? OK! If you have answers, suggestions, tips or recommendations, please respond to this post or email/FB me!


Devon's Possibly (Probably?) Stupid Questions Regarding the Remainder of her Pregnancy, Labour and Delivery:


1. I'll start with a "vain" question - So far I’ve been lucky enough not to have any stretch marks. What products do you recommend for preventing them and minimizing them if they do come?


2. Cold and flu season is upon us and being a teacher means I’m more susceptible to catching something. Can I safely take anything to prevent/treat symptoms? 


3. Did you or are you planning on signing up for childbirth classes? Did you find them useful?


4. I find myself worrying about every little ache and twinge. How can I distinguish what’s normal from what’s not?


5. When contractions start, when should I go to the hospital? I don’t want to go too early and be sent home, or too late and deliver in the car! LOL (but not really, that would suck!)


6. I could probably pack a whole suitcase to bring to the hospital. What do I really need?


7. Due to a “low lying placenta” I may need to have Cesarean. Any tips on recovering as quickly and as painlessly as possible, from a C-section?


8. If I’m able to give birth vaginally, when is the best time to ask for an epidural if I decide I want one?


9. I think I want only my husband to be in the room when I deliver. How soon after our baby’s born, can the rest of my family come in?


10. How soon after the birth, will I be instructed on breastfeeding?


11. How long do I have to stay in the hospital after giving birth? And after a C-section? 


12. And the most important question of all  - Soooo, what the $&!*# do I do now?!?!



Now that I've got the paranoid portion of this post out of the way, lets talk about something fun! CRAFTS!

I'm really not that crafty, which might be a bad thing considering I'm a teacher, but it is what it is! Anyways, I was Pinterest-ing on the weekend and came across a super cute idea for the nursery!


I went out and bought some wooden letters to spell the baby's name (actually, I think they're MDF but it doesn't matter), some "Mod Podge", and a variety of patterned scrapbook paper to match the nursery's colour scheme, and I got to work at the kitchen table!

Now, I won't show you the finished product because we're keeping the little man's name a secret until he's born, but I've linked to the blog I got the idea from! It was super easy and it turned out exactly how I imagined! Here are the papers I used :)


It was also my mom's birthday over the weekend, so Dan and I (and Lucy!) went to my parents house for dinner on Sunday. My mom surprised us by bringing up the tote's of baby clothes and blankets she had saved from when my brother and I were little!

Check out some of the cute homemade sweaters we took home with us! I can't believe my little brother, who is not so little anymore, used to wear these! So adorable! I can't wait to see how cute our little one looks in them. Perfect for our winter baby :)



Speaking of clothes, here's another Outfit of the Week post! The photos were taken in my parents pretty yard.

The top I'm wearing is from Seraphine (online shopping is my newest guilty pleasure and I ALWAYS find something I "need" on Seraphine's website. What I "need" is to stop spending!). The sweater is awesome because it's a maternity top to accommodate the growing bump, but it doubles as a nursing top with convenient boob access via the snaps on the shoulders! I got the purple, but it also comes in black and brown.


Top - Seraphine (purple breastfeeding sweater)
Jeans - H&M (non-maternity... I'm wearing a belly band!)
Boots - Aldo
Jewellery - The Bay

That's it for now! Thank you for reading :)

PS. Don't forget to respond to any or all of my questions, if you can help! Thanks! 


3 comments:

  1. I will answer your question about low lying placenta and c-section...

    1) It still has time to move up, you're just starting to pop now and as belly gorws out it will probably move up out of the way. I had a low lying placenta and spotting throughout my entire pregnancy.

    2) I didn't find the c-section that bad. I only took tylenot for the first couple days. Whatever they give you in the IV makes you ITCHY ITCHY ITCHY, that was the worst part for me.

    3) After I was healed I thought I felt normal, could carry on like usual and go back to paying ball (after 5 weeks). I fell on my face as soon as I tried to run (LMAO). Your ligaments in your hips get all loosey goosey during pregnancy and nobody warned me about that. Was not a pretty site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kerri-Lyn! Fingers crossed the placenta moves up (from what I've heard from people, it usually does). Good to hear that if I need a C-section, recovery isn't too bad. Totally 'LOL'ed at your baseball story - thanks for the warning! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 - I have spent a mint in products... coconut oil, tamanu oil, palmers belly butter, palmers oil, the list goes on. I don't have any yet either. BUT I'm just gonna go ahead and expect them!

    #2 - Maybe you could get in the habit of doing a Netti Pot cleansing every day? Help keep the mucous healthy and germs at bay?

    #3 - I've signed up for every free class the hospital offers. Also a lady in my book club used to teach the Bradley Method for dealing with pain and contractions so I think I'm gonna hire her to coach me...

    #4 - Me too! Good luck girl!

    #5 - I'm in the same boat as you

    #6 - I feel the same. I mean my pillows alone are ridiculous!

    #7 - #12 - OK I have no clue. This is my first too and I don't think anyone has the answers (except maybe call the hospital where you plan to deliver and ask them about their policies and programs!!!)

    ReplyDelete